Monday, February 2, 2009

Lips, Hips, Thighs and Tits

I finally finished the movie Waitress. I loved it. In the aftermath of watching it after being so inspired by Adrienne Shelly and her work, I realized just how sexist this business if not this society still is. How women are still only supposed to remain pretty or smart but never both, how we hat to objectify our bodies and are taught self-loathing at such a young age. I remember putting myself on a "diet" at age 7. Not because I was fat (I had pencil thin legs) but because my Girl Talk book talked about diets and I had equated it with femininity, like a girl at a tea party, "I'm watching my figure". As I get older nothing seems to change. I don't want to look in the mirror and loathe what I see.

Maybe we do need a little uprising. Maybe we do need more Adrienne Shelly's and Diablo Cody's women who are being recognized in this male driven field as storytellers. Women of action. For Christ sake look at Woody Allen, weirdest looking motherfucker, puts himself in all his films, which in some cases are 75% bullshit and everyone raves (or did). Shelly writes Waitress and people call it trite or Cody writes Juno and people say she must have stolen the idea. The only time female storytellers are praised in film is when they write the book it was adapted from, Annie Proulx for example.

I'm tired of living in this society with this gross understatement of a woman that I have to live up to if I want to "make something of myself". Yes, girls can get a degree but we still can never have dessert everyday cause it's supposed to be a treat, a privilege -Thank you shape Magazine 08. Have you ever been in the same room with a man and a cake? It's a fucking right as in give me the cake right now. I'm over it. I am the original model of a latin woman all lips, hips, thighs and tits all on a 5'3" frame. Interesting enough, you stick this equation on a white girl ahem, Scarlett Johansson, and she's regaled as this beautiful au-natural 1950's pinup esque sex-pot all new wave, and when it's a latin girl she's Ugly Betty or African she's turned down in Dreamgirls for Beyonce. We need to bring strength back into the female film form. I am so over watching these wilting sallow faced lilies. It's so boring to watch a skeleton try to act. I'm sorry but I never in my life aspire to be able to see my hipbones jut out and have my ribcage protrude through my shirt and I still am beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the title: Yes, Yes, Yes, and YES!

Anonymous said...

Waitress has been playing over and over again on cable. It's the kind of movie though that you can start watching at any point you catch it, like the Godfather or Fried Green Tomatoes. It always makes me want a chocolate pie though.